What is Islamic medicine? Is it medical knowledge that is completely subject to the will of Allah The Exalted, or is it the art of treatment adopted and followed by Muslims when the Muslims were at the peak of their development? Or is it the most modern medicine, guided by divine teachings and completely in accordance with them?
On the basis of Islamic teachings in light of the Qur’an and Sunnah, this book devises the following six basic categories for Islamic medicine:
- Adhering to Islamic teachings and etiquette.
- Adhering to logic in practicing medicine.
- Holistic approach, paying equal attention to the body, mind and soul, for individuals as well as societies.
- Universal approach, taking into account all resources and aiming to benefit all people.
- Scientific approach, based on logical conclusions drawn from sound observations, accurate statistics and trustworthy experience.
- Excellence, achieving what other kinds of treatment have failed to achieve.